Friday, September 23, 2016

H2O-2

Have you ever put together a piece of furniture from Ikea? So many pieces... it can be daunting at first look. I have found however that if you lay everything out and group things together...essentially make sense of the chaos in front of you, then the task becomes easier.
So that is exactly what I did. I assembled my different parts, and then planned things through.

I previously explained that I wanted a retractable braided SS fill hose, but I also need an air vent. The fresh water holding tanks are part of a closed system, thus when we fill...water goes in...and air must come out. I could have easily simply had an air vent on top of the water tanks but it would have to be open...which means dust, dirt and critters big and small could get into the tanks. Not on my list of OK.
I have seen air vents off the side near the top with a hose to minimize exposure to the elements....but I know that the hose can move and then act as a siphon. Again, not OK. So I ran air lines from both tanks that join together in 1/4" hose and travel up to the fill portal. This way it is only open to the elements during the fill time, otherwise it is sealed closed. It will also act as an indicator of tank fill. When the tanks have expressed all the air.....water will come out. At the fill portal you will know when you get a little spigot of water shooting at you.
OK nothing that ornate but it would be funny...






















So I drilled two holes, both 1/2" one for the hose and one for a bulkhead fixture. I created a removable key so the hose and slide in, but with the key replaced the FPT end prevents the hose from dropping back into the bus. One the backside of the bulkhead fixture I have a quick release compression fitting to the air hose.













Now it's just a matter of plug and play, for the umpteenth time I reassembled the parts.



It was a plan in my head for a looooooong time, but I am happy with the outcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...