Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Powder Room

I love it when a plan comes together. On the weekend Michelle and I went to a friends house for a back to school house party. The kids may be sad but many parents are glad, frankly I like having them around so I'm kinda sad too. But hey! it was a good reason for an adult get together. While there I ran into Dave, whom I haven't seen in a year....sine the last back to school party now that I think of it. Dave and I share a passion for building things, woodworking specifically but generally being handy enough to fix/repair/build things that the household needs. As we were discussing his bathroom reno project, I realised we were birds of a feather when he said "sometimes I spend half the time just standing there running through the options, the order of business, what needs to happen and when!" It's been said I spend many an hour out at the bus....most the time working, but often it can be laying underneath looking at what needs to get done. There have been numerous early mornings when I feel I can't make too much noise with power tools, when I just sit in the bus and plan the  "the options, the order of business, what needs to happen and when". Most of the time it just remains in my head...some times I sketch it out on paper, or in this case a piece of scrap plywood.
The piece got shoved under the bench and was lost, until I was removing cabinets to run the furnace ducting.
 It's nice to see that the physical product resembles that of the concept drawing!

Next on the agenda is the bathroom, the back wall I actually cut some time ago, but now I want to include the rounded corners...
Of course, I'm a visual guy. I can draw it on paper and measure it out, but I need to see what it looks like and then do trial fit on test pieces. For example. After I did this little mock up, it was glaringly apparent that I needed to extend the corner to the floor.
This of course looks like I know what I am doing with the cut on the final piece. What I didn't show you was the two trial pieces that had a less than desirable final look to it.
So far so good. the walls are a little off set from each other so that you will see the bathroom door from the front, It adds and subtracts. What I mean is that it looks more interesting, but I give up a tiny bit of bathroom square footage. But come on, this isn't the Ritz Carlton en-suite bathroom....its Fillmore's reading room.
Jeff has been told time and again in his competitive sports to visualise your actions on the court, Although I applaud his thinking outside the box and applying skills learned in one arena to another......I'm not sure I needed to see this....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...