Tuesday, January 24, 2017

my mind is a scary place

Maybe it's cabin fever, maybe it's my warped sense of humour, but when I saw this I laughed heartily and then took pause and said...."I want to make that!"
The neighbours may not think it's quite as funny as I do but, maybe I won't put it on the side of the house that they see.....

OK maybe I'll wait until I have a loss of projects to do....THEN this guy will adorn our downspouts!
It's a time to make up for past mistakes. As I prep the cabinets for paint, I am starring in the face of a screw up when I built this cabinet. The lower drawer space is to small (by a significant 1/2" or the drawer is too big by a 1/2") so I modified the design and placed the ball bearing slides flat to allow for the mess up. It kinds worked, but when you do this the drawer runners sag when pulled out all the way and the drawer hits the floor. Unacceptable......and now is the time to fix it.
Just like a haircut it was time to trim a bit from the side, cut a new side and put the new drawer back together.
My problem is, I keep thinking. Thinking is good but it can lead you off path or in great new directions. I think so much that sometimes my mind is a scary place.....so the plan changes...and therefor so does the finishing complexity...which translates into time. I have some exotic African wood from my in laws. I can't remember the name of the wood. I was convinced it was Muldova....but that is a small landlocked country in eastern europe, oddly enough,according to LonelyPlanet dubbed the least happy place in a best selling book over a decade ago.A little more historical research found the name Mvuli.  I decided that the drawer faces would be painted the high gloss white like the cabinet walls, but the edges would be trimmed out by the hardwood.















The concept is good, I'll keep you posted on the execution, this could look really sharp, or I could be making new doors...

In the meantime painting has begun...

...and test fitting pieces for the drivers side drawer cabinet is underway.

All progress came screeching to a sudden halt right here. The white cabinet is for the drawers on the passenger side, the bare wood is the test fit of the drivers side frame. All measurements and cuts were correct save one. The rebate for the solid shelf was cut on the wrong side of the outer cabinet wall. when put together it looks fine, a smaller sized duplicate of the passenger side cabinet. The issue is it is not supposed to be a duplicate but a mirror image.
Back to the cutting table...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...