Saturday, April 7, 2018

On the edge of my seat....or floor.

 Another day of the sweet smells of wood chips and diesel. These two things make odd bedfellows, but yet...it was a perfect blend of sweet acrid pine and the comforting smell of raw power(as my good friend Chris likes to say). The day started with sunshine and  hot coffee, after feeding the troupes I meandered out to the bus shelter to continue on my quest. Today was more of the same, cabinets. The components had been made, now it is time to make the drawer fronts and fine tune the positions.

















After a few dry fits, it was time to mount the hardware. Being that nothing is perfectly square and nothings is totally repeatable...every drawer requires it's own personal touch.
After a trim here and a sanding there, I wanted to place some veneer banding on the edges. It just makes the painting and sanding go that much easier. Once all the drawer front edge banding was completed, I give the drawers a healthy coat of filler. Most of the filler I end up sanding off, but it gives the surface a smoother starting point which again makes the painting go a little smoother.
 The beauty of keeping so many irons in the fire with Fillmore is that when we need to let one job cool (or dry as it were). There is plenty of others that need to be finished.
 In February, when Ron was here, we laid down some flooring on the passenger side. Now that we are posed to re-install the couch and newly constructed split galley, it was time to finish the job of the flooring. First I had to flush trim the laminate.......a little messier that I had anticipated.

 But Nothing ventured...nothing gained.
 Once all the mess was cleaned up I was able to install the aluminum edge banding(T molding).
Within seconds, or more aptly put: "inches", of starting to cut the rebate for the edge banding I hit two screws and totally ruined my slot cutter. But I was not only stubbornly optimistic, but perhaps in a little bit of denial as to how bad the blade really was. I'm not so sure I cut the slot in the flooring as much as perhaps I burned the slot into the flooring......
But after all was said and done....and I have to order a new blade for the drivers side.. the molding was in place  and now we are ready for the next step!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...