Wednesday, May 2, 2018

X marks the spot

When you have all the room in the world, and inch means nothing. But when you are trying to squeeze every usable bit of space, an inch can mean the difference between OK and luxurious. Alright I will admit that perhaps I am overthinking things a little but, once again I found myself in a battle between form and function. The lounge seats have been put into position previously. The rear facing seat mounted on top/side of the forward wheel well on the drivers side,. This process required mods to the wheel well, so it's position has long been determined. The forward facing seat was then temporarily mounted in position relative to the paired seat, maximizing space, position relative to the window, and reach to the planned foot rest. Easy! Right?
Wrong...Houston we have a problem.
 I want...no I need to have the isle side leg mounted in a steel support. And I am  off my mark. Looking at where the bolt was temp mounted (red circle) and the x is where I need to be.
Mapping out where I need to be and where the mounting bracket is, you can see I would have to move the seat forward by two inches. Again when you have all the room in the world, two inches is nothing, but in this set up it will make getting in and out a wrestle.So if I can't move the chair....then I have to move the mounting bracket!
Time lapse makes everything look quick and easy.


 Probably the most nerve wracking is drilling the pilot hole through the new floor....I know where the cross member should be...



















Thankfully everything went as it should. Next step was to mock up the seat extension/ottoman.the overall size is good, now we have to custom fit it.

 My ever popular scribe line....
 Test fit of the mock up is promising.. My plan is to section the top an inch or two left of the scribe line and place a hinge on the lid so the ottoman can be used for storage.
Now that I'm happy with the mock up, it's time to put it all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...