Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Boxes

I saw a comedian once talking about the difference between man and women. Specifically how, or better yet WHY, women seem to worry about seemingly obscure details, and men don't seem to notice a problem.
Women vs Men's Brains

I don't know how many times I've come home to tell Michelle some news, thinking that I have my finger on the pulse of what's going on. Only to find out that there are a million other details which I have overlooked but are important on some other level that affects everything else, including peace in the middle east and why my mother doesn't like Michelle's meatloaf.

You see life is simpler when it's all in little boxes. It's neat, tidy, and doesn't create havoc with the chi of other "things". Everything fits the way it should, life is going as planned.
As soon as you take things out of their box, you realize that all is not perfect any more. You let things touch!
It's not the end of the world but your fantasy of this job taking only a few minutes flies right out the window.

Like the new brake pedal and valve assembly. A lovely Bendix A6 dual port very straight forward valve with treadle and mounting plate. Should just take the old plate off and mount the new one in it's place right?
WRONG!
Of course the plate is different, over the last 60 years technology has changed, advanced, progressed. Even if the basic concept is the same....well they have to change something...why not the mounting plate....I mean why should THAT be standard?
Sorry, got caught in a little rant there,my bad....anyway I new I had to create a new floor mounting plate to bolt the treadle mounting plate to. First order of business was to trace my basic shape, so back to the basics when life was simpler. Pull out the crayons and go back to kindergarten!....ahhh kindergarten, All I really need to know I learned in kindergarten.
Why I don't create a welding bench I'll never know. Perhaps it's my way of punishing myself for some past digressions, a penance of sorts, or maybe I just really enjoy kneeling on a concrete floor hunched over welding...who knows. I'll leave that question for the shrinks in the crowd. While I was at it I filled in a couple of places where "extra" holes were drilled into the floor board. Next order of business was to cut space for the valve to pass through and the bolt holes!

Looking pretty sharp!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...