Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dad...what is a metaphor?

As a parent, you are faced with challenges all along the way. How do I function on 3 hours of sleep? How do I comfort my child because a friend turned on them?, How do I answer "Dad what is a metaphor?"....what the ..?(I swear there should be a quick reference guide somewhere)
The Webster's definition- "a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them."
My answer was no quite so eloquent....
BUT an example?... THE BUS of course(thought I'd have trouble tying this one together huh?)
“Jeff, understand, the bus is an onion. We peel back each layer to find the next. Sometimes when we cut it, we cry. But in the end, you fry it in butter and it’s perfect”.**
For those of you who are followers of "The blog" (hi Dad!) you'll know I had a bad end to a great day yesterday when I accidentally cut the brake line. Well the good news was it wasn't the brake line (as you mused Dad), it was however the oil pressure indicator line....still important.

So today started with me tracing the line I cut to evaluate exactly what it is...well what this is, is a mess. LIKE AN ONION (Ha!) it has layers and layers of junk and gunk that had to be sorted through.

And with each layer I uncovered a new surprise!

This is the pipe for the heater core at the front of the bus. Some things are blessings in disguise. Should I have not cut the oil pressure indicator line, I may not have torn apart this section of the bus (not likely but possible) and then I wouldn't have found this. So the first time I would fire up the engine after connecting the lines in the back...I would have been leaking antifreeze but the bucket up front!

When the day was done, it was clean of all the junk...wires not used anymore, pipes with cracked rubber seals, useless parking brake and clutch connector rods.

Man...I wonder how long before my interior looks this slick!
** Special thanks to Harold Cecil Smith supervising Internet editor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...