Wednesday, January 27, 2010

l'oignon

Ahh yes monsieur, it always has so many surprises!
This is my artsy fartsy shot of the day, can you guess what it is?

So the latest project is panel removal. Passenger side 1/2 way back has through and through rust, so off the panel comes...

I tried grinding the rivet head off and punch the rivet tail out, I tried grinding the tail off and popping the rivet head off. In the end the tried and true was the best. Drilling out the rivets with a 3/16" bit.

Being the true "l'oignon" yet another surprise...what I thought was body panel, was in fact an aesthetic patch over top of some body damage. Nothing serious or structural, it actually looks like it side swiped a fence post or something and dented in the panel. But rather than pulling the dent, bondo and paint. They simply layed a second panel on top, rivets along the original rivet line and 'voila' presto chango!

So 400 rivets ,one 13/32"bit, three 3/16" drill bits, and a few swear words later the panel is off.
So far so good...... to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...