Sunday, February 20, 2011

Awesome,...now what?

 Yesterday I got up early and spent some time in the garage, just me CBC radio and a wonderful +12C inside as opposed to the -22C outside. A nice day to putter. Recently I moved the engine and tranny a bit within the garage, and frankly had a hell of a time doing it. So needless to say based on that experience I wasn't particularly looking forward to doing this by myself. Although I have lots of offers of guys to come help, this hardly seemed like I needed to call someone at 8am to help me.

 So up she went.....and things went surprisingly smooth!
 I was worried at Christmas time that the width was going to be an issue. I though we may end up having to make some 'modifications' to allow for the hydraulic pump...but...
 It fit with no problem, it's not like there is a tonne of extra lateral space but it fits. Once again I was amazed at how easy I was able to wheel the whole gamut(not to be confused with my first spelling gamete...very different connotation) around by myself. Granted this was much harder to move than the 5.9L BTA that I had last fall.
 The big issue I have, which I knew from my beginning measurements, is a length issue. To mount the engine where she sits now I won't have enough length to allow for the drive shaft. Seeing as how you can't just opt out of that small piece of hardware. I need to reposition the rear engine mount....aka cut the old one out and likely have a new one manufactured...as far back as I can muster. Still then I will have to take the drive shaft and have it remade. This one sits about 16" now...I guesstimate it will have to be about 10-11" when all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...