Friday, September 9, 2011

Oh God here I go again...

 My problem is, I'm never satisfied. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say or mean to infer that I'm not happy. It's just this thing inside me that says.....OK that was good, but I can make it better.
It drives Michelle absolutely bonkers! It took me more years than I care to admit to clue into the major faux pas I committed on a regular and recurring basis, when I would sit down to a meal(that Michelle prepared) and proceed to somehow make a sandwich out of it.
 For a smart guy, I can be pretty dumb.

 Today I haven't decided if I was smart or dumb. In the last post you saw the modified rad pipes, those were the pipes for the return coolant coming back from the rad. I was quite happy with the outcome....sort of. It was good, but... I should just clean up those pipes before I install them!


 Here are the pipes, all stripped down and surface etched for the POR-15.
 While I wait for the paint to dry, I decided not to sit and watch the paint dry, while soaking up the 31C temps with a cold beer in my hand. No I decided to work on the upper rad pipes. Here I used some of the piping and elbows that I had from before, and a few new ones too. Once again I pretty much had it beat, aside from the last strait piece it was done. Granted it was (foreshadowing) a convoluted path to go from the engine to the rad.
Lets see, from the engine 90deg elbow out, then a 90 deg elbow up, then 90 deg elbow towards the rad, then finally another 90 deg elbow into the rad. By my meager math that is sending the coolant through 4 elbow while going to the rad, and thus 360deg! That's creating plenty of resistance for the water pump. It also takes up a whack of space.
But it's done, right?.....I mean unless I could tweak it juuuuuuuust a little!
 What I really need to be able to do is simply rotate the input flange  clockwise 90 deg.


So I cut off the flange.
 Then cut a 5.5x5.5" hole,
 Rotate the plate and weld the flange back on!
I still have the 90 deg coming out of the engine, but then its a gentle rise and run into the rad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...