Friday, May 4, 2012

I live with Dr. Doolittle!

Monday night I sing with a men's chorus. We rehearse until 10pm. I've been singing with them for 10 or 11 years now. So when I get a text from Michelle at 9:59pm saying "Call me"....now that can't be good.
I call her up bracing myself for some bad news, the water pump isn't working, the power is out, your son jumped his bike over the neighbors car and broke the sunroof, you know the usual stuff.
Needless to say I wasn't quite prepared for the story I got. Seems that after the kids finished school Michelle and Jeff spotted a Grey Owl sitting on a sign post. The must have sat there admiring the birds majesty for a half hour. Later that evening as Michelle was driving in the town to pick up Anna from dance....yep...there was a game misconduct.(sorry!). Horrified Michelle stopped the car and fowl was called(damn it, I'll stop I promise). There was the same beautiful Owl...lying motionless on the road. There was nothing to be done now, so she went on to get Anna. To their surprise as they passed back again on the way home the Owl was upright...just sitting there on the road(technically the shoulder)...not moving for anything.
By the time I was finishing singing, the weather had taken a turn for the worse, the mercury had dropped and it was raining/sleet. Michelle wanted me to check on the Owl.
To make a long story shorter than it could become, given the population of coyotes, the weather, and consulting with the experts on the Internet, we decided to take action. We threw a blanket over the poor thing,  transferred him to a cage(dog kennel) and put him somewhere safe and warm (garage). In the morning he will be taken to a wildlife rehab center.














The poor guy wasn't exactly responsive, one eye was 1/2 closed, we didn't have a good feeling.









But wait there is more!....

The next morning, the Owl is still with us and looks somewhat better, so I'm feeling pretty good on my way to work. Then, I get the next call. Michelle had let the dogs out and they went berserk barking up a storm. Better put they were barking up a tree. Seems that we had a visitor that morning. A black bear was in the yard and our bigger dog, Shelagh, had treed the bear. Michelle was killing herself laughing however as the bear decided to run up a tree that was too small and the tree was bending and swaying to and fro. After some work, Michelle was able to get the bear dogs back inside and the black bear meandered away.

But wait there is yet more!...
Now that the kids are on the bus and the bear is gone, Michelle jumps in the car to take Mr. Owl to the rehab hospital. Only to come out of the driveway and be confronted by a juvenile moose standing in the middle of the road.

After a few moments he lazily walked into the ditch to enjoy the succulent willow tips!
Now I'm not inferring that this is daily occurrence seeing this amount of wildlife, but come on! The closest you'd get to this in the city is your abnormally hairy neighbor mowing his lawn with his shirt off yelling at his teenage kid to get up off his tush and help out around the place.

Editors update: Today we got a call from the rehab hospital asking directions to where the owl was picked up. Seems the Owl is doing just fine. Nothing broken and was able to eat no problem. After a few days of observation they felt he was OK to release. Michelle met up with the volunteer and released the young FEMALE back to the wild. And all is right with the world at that moment. Bless you my love for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...