Sunday, May 6, 2012

For better or worse

Attention to detail, the things that we are doing to/for Fillmore are far from perfect, but as we travel along the journey my attitude is let's do it once and do it right. Many times along the way I am faced with little decisions where I can say..."eh! good enough!...but knowing that little thing will always bug me. Some of them would be invisible, like the fuel sending unit. The machine screws that held the old one in place were still...."usable", but they were flat head screws and the blade slot was worn and torn. Put another 10 years on them then the next time I have to take the unit out I would be cursing a blue streak. So....I wait....and delay progress until I can get bolts that I can sleep at night with. Simple!

Other problems are not so simple. I had SS face plates made for the dash. The issue I had was a plasma cutter was used to make the cuts and holes. Leaving the edges 'burnt'. I then tried to smooth them off, creating another aesthetic issue. In the end it got worse and worse. As a last ditch attempt to cover the issue we tried the old textured look to the whole panel. Which as you can see looked like crap.
So, I decided to back track
I pulled the panels out and removed them entirely.
I am getting new ones fabricated in acrylic.....hmmmm, we'll see.
In the meantime I ran a grounding cable for the house system under the bus. Creating numerous grounding areas. I cut the insulator exposing the cable underneath, then using a retention clamp I bolted it into place.
You can see how handy my little friend has become!
Onward we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...