Monday, July 26, 2010

Covered...kinda.

Yesterday was a great day.I was wacked by the end of it. I started the morning, like any rational man on his own would, by going into town and having a big breakfast at West22. A little restaurant in Bragg. It used be called Dave's...and frankly it wasn't that good. New owners and new menu, it's a nice place to go in the morning! Anyway, breaky, and then come home and take the dogs for a hike. I figured that after the run they had yesterday I would go easy on them....or that was the plan. 2 hours of bushwhacking later we arrived home.

Poor little Nacho was done, running through the woods at double time must have been too much for him. I figured he must be beat if he was using a 2"x4" for a pillow!

Yesterday Randy and I made great progress on the shelter, and as he left he said he's be back Tuesday so don't try to get the roof up by yourself......."ya sure!"(insert Norwegian accent) I said.
My plan for the day didn't originally include putting up the roof trusses, because you needed more than one person.Never to be deterred by a challenge, I had a thought! To put up a truss, you need one guy to lift the truss into place and stabilize it with a brace on top while the other guy holds the bottom steady. Once the top is stabilized then the bottom can be screw nailed down. Or.....you can have tack down jigs to hold the lower portion while the single guy lifts and stabilizes then comes down and screw nails the bottom into place. Worked like a damn really! (told you I was a firm believer in jigs)...who needs a stair master when your up and down a ladder all day!! You may or may not notice that the wall heights are all 18" shorter too!

Now....I like to read, most often I believe in what I read. Unless it is from a tabloid, which I read in the supermarket only to pass the time. So you can forgive me if when I read on the web site and then on the package that the tarp is 20'x40'....I specifically remember
20'x40'...not 20'x37'5 1/2". Perhaps I should have measured the tarp to verify the length of it before designing the building plans...but there are allot of things in life you would do differently if you had a second chance. Like the time I accidentally ran over Michelle with the snow machine....the day after I asked her to marry me.
So after a few colorful words, which I am thankful that the dogs are unable to repeat, another after the fact fix. If you scroll up one photo you'll see that the picture was taken after this mishap was discovered. You now notice the distance between the front two trusses(and vertical posts) is smaller than the rest. I felt like a plastic surgeon, a little nip here a little tuck there!

The day was nearing the end and I was getting tired, but I did take a moment to enjoy the sunset

With rain forecasted for Monday I really wanted to get the tarp on...and I did. There is still more work to do but at least she is covered

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...