Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What light through yonder window breaks?

Ah my good buddy Bill. William Shakespeare, born in in 1564! Who knew that in the famous scene of Romeo and Juliet he was referring to the window of my bus!
However he got the words mixed up, or they got mixed up in the centuries after, for today the quote would not have read " Soft, what light through yonder window breaks?"
But rather " Ahhh Crap! that light window a yonder is broken!!!"

Yes, I was happily working away on refurbishing the passenger side entry door window. The window is split vertically with the ability to open the front and back halves for ventilation. I worked the front half....it worked out great.
Moving on to the larger back half, I realized there was something odd. Bolted onto the outside surface was a piece of steel angle iron. At first blush I assumed it had something to do with the mounting mechanism. But thinking back I remembered taking them off and the angle iron had no part in the window mounting. So I deduced that there was no functional purpose for it and decided to remove it.
Now in hindsight you would think that I would then ask myself the simple question...
" Why did someone do this?"
Ahhhh Ha! Elementary my dear Watson! It was scabbed on to fix what they broke.
It Appears that someone perhaps was either a little to rough with the window or tried to put in an over sized screw and busted the metal. Who knows. All I know now is I have to find an aluminum welder.
Well that put a stop to that project, so I moved on to installing the new tranny temp sensor. The previous sensor was in a 90 degree ORB to JIC fitting, but the new sensor is about the same size as the old fitting, so I couldn't just swap sensors, or even re-drill and tap a new thread. No, I had to play with different fittings and make one up.
With special help from Greggs Distributors I was able to put together a little gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...