Monday, December 27, 2010

I just can't let it go...

For some, an object is just that..an object. A car, a bike, a coat. On one hand I can see the logic in that, but on the other I get caught up in some of these things...Fillmore for example. Logic tells me this is an exercise in frustration, a money pit, something that I will find I rarely use compared to the investment I put in. But I love the challenge. I love the work, there is something terrible romantic...in the guy sense.. about getting your hands dirty and banged up and to "stink like bus" as my 10 year old daughter puts it.
 I find beauty in all the strangest places with this old fart. I also find things that I look at and say...that will be OK I can leave that as is...or at least for a while.


Last summer I had completed the body panel replacement....or so I thought. Driver side front. The panel was in good shape...but there was 2 small rust spots that had penetrated. I thought..."bondo!...we're all good" But I just couldn't let it go.

 So on the last day my family was here for the holidays, I had my Dad grinding and drilling rivets so I could remove the panel and replace it.

Then I had Shawn and my Dad tear out the tower, or ram air chute, in the engine compartment. Now before anyone freaks out!,  don't fret! Just like the 6 million dollar man...we can rebuild him. There is a method to the madness...but that is another blog entry.

 My Fam left this morning at 5am. So that left Ron and I to poke away at things.

We cut the panel to size, center punched and drilled all the rivet holes







You see...I see the beauty in this too...
Dry fit was bang on! So back to the shop, err I mean our garage( sorry Honey), the a coat or two of POR-15 and as soon as the weather permits-and the new rivets arrive- we'll put her back together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...