Tuesday, December 14, 2010

One of these things is not like the other...

In the words of Homer...."Doahhh!"
I HATE feeling like a moron. In my working life, I don't know everything and I am constantly learning, but my knowledge base is extensive and substantial enough that the learning happens in small and seemingly controlled little bits. Doing this restoration project I am learning at, lets say, an accelerated pace. So there have been times where I might imply my knowledge base is slightly more than it is, in an effort to save face...or not look like I have no idea what the hell I am doing..to those in "the industry".In the end however, just like I tell my kids, a little fib will grow and then 'get ya!'

 

Take today for example. With the new rear diff, the axle size is slightly larger than the previous axle. So, I need new 'U'-bolts to fix the axle to the leaf springs. I call my usual manufacturing guy in Cochrane, who put me on to a suspension specialty shop closer to my place of work who they would sub contract to anyway. I gave them a call, Standens suspension. What I thought was going to take a few days at best, he said he could have made up in 1/2 hour. Like a teenager in the backseat of a parked car, I got very excited and started talkin' big in hopes that this would move to the next level.
The service rep on the phone started asking me dimensions,to which I was already prepared with my hand drawn"blue print" so I started firing back answers as quick as he could ask them. I was in the know, I was on top of things, I knew what I wanted!
Then came the question...
As they always do, in hindsight the question makes perfect sense. At the moment however, while the bravado is draining out of my ego like the blood from my face, I had no idea what he meant...Round top or square top?....huh?....I already told this joker that I need a 7/8 diameter 'U'-bolt 4  3/4" width and 16 1/8" length. Any moron knows that 'diameter' means round!
So I blurt it out. As quick as the thought had entered my mind, it left my lips. I had a queezy feeling about this, but the sales guy seemed to be OK with it!
It wasn't until I picked them up an hour later I realized my mistake. I think I actually heard my pride hit the floor. BUT, rather than take an offensive stance and get into a row with the service guy. I took ownership. I told the guy that the u-bolts were wrong, I went to the car and brought in the old style so he could see. What happened next was really kind of funny . I fessed up that he made them according to what I had told him but that I misunderstood the question due to my lack of experience. I said it was my mistake, and although it would be costly I was going to have to ask him to remake the order. He got a real mad look on his face and said " These can't just be restocked you know' this is a problem because it is custom, I really should charge you for two sets"
"Yes you should" I replied "It was my mistake"
He cocked his head to one side, wrinkled his nose like he didn't know what to make of that, I don't think he was expecting that response....he walked away.
No more than 15 minutes later he returned with newly made u bolts with a flat top.
And a bill for only a fraction of the costs.
Lesson learned. Ask, communicate, be honest and accountable.

Oh ya, and floss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...