Friday, December 31, 2010

Yin and Yang

There is always good in something, and conversely there is bad lingering there as well.
A hot sunny day is good, for obvious reasons, but the bad is the silent possibility that if you are not careful you will get a sunburn. Consider it natures way to moderate....to promote balance and harmony...a yin to a yang.

So yesterday after a day of x-country skiing and building snow forts in the yard with the kids( an engineering marvel if I do say so myself) Ron and I put up the newly made doors to Fillmore's hut.
As I was standing on the ladder awaiting Ron to bring the tarps from the workshop I got a sinking feeling in my gut.
Now I am not perfect, my wife will vouch for me on this one, but I do like to get things done and try to do them in the very best way I can. Some times things are out of your control and you can't dictate the outcome, so you accept the result and move on. There are other times however where the variables are 100% within your control and mistakes are a result of letting your guard down, a blind trust that things are going to be fine , or simply pure oversight. Standing atop of the ladder I realized, even before seeing the tarps in place, that I had made yet another mistake.
I cut the first tarp....perfect...I then used the first tarp as a template for the second but forgot to flip it over  before tracing and cutting to get mirror images. Thus I had two copies of the same side.......ARRRRRGGGG!!!
Of course I could still put it up, but as you can see I had to flip it around and as such you can SEE my mistake. Each and every day I will have a very large reminder of the boo-boo. The good news though is the doors are on, the space and Fillmore are now protected.
My first instinct was "I will have to buy another tarp and re do the one door." But the more I think of it the more I muse that perhaps this is natures way of a reminder, a reminder to pay attention to detail, to take my time,assume nothing and think things through. Perhaps this is the Yin to the Yang!

Come to think of it it has the color scheme of the Yin/Yang symbol doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...